Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Paper or plastic? Or not?

Paper or plastic? In 1999, 14 million trees were cut down to produce 10 billion paper bags for Americans. An estimated 12 million barrels of oil are used in the production of 1 billion plastic bags. In addition, each year, millions of tax dollars are spent disposing of a recycling plastic and paper bags. Instead, bring a stylish fun reusable bag, like the ones you can find on reusablebagsdepot.com. Better yet, some stores like Target, Whole Foods and CVS, give you discounts when you bring your own bag. If we use one reusable bag for a year, we eliminate the need for 1,000 plastic bags. As Heather would say, "Now that's good to know!"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I especially like stores like Whole Foods that not only gives you a credit for each bag you bring with you, but they also allow you to donate the money to charity. Not only can you help preserve the environment, you can also help those in need in your community.

Adam
http://www.stepstogogreen.com

Jo said...

I have been using re-usable bags for a long time. Emigrated from South Africa where the shops started charging 20cents (SA) per plastic bag years ago. Therefore, when they became available here I bought 20 at a reasonable 50 cents each. I have got into the habit of not leaving the house without them. Target also credits you with 5 cents per bag when you bring your own bags

Bro. Mike said...

The reusable bags are the way to go. Maybe in the near future the whole plastic bags or paper will not be an option.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Not sure if they are available but if you have a Meijer there-bring your own bags. Their (paper) bags break easily.

I try to do my part by using paper bags and reusing as much plastic as possible. I've even coerced my family into recycling! and I'm devoting a spot on my blog to the cause...

www.writehousepublications.blogspot.com

Michele